AS Roma is looking for an hungry, talented journalist and content creator to join the club’s award-winning Digital Media team in Rome.
The successful applicant will assist in the English-language coverage of everything going on both within and around the club, helping bringing the team as close as possible to supporters across the globe.
This role offers the chance for the right candidate to grow and develop and, over time, leave their own mark on the club’s digital output. Primary tasks will including writing, editing and publishing daily news articles, coming up with original ideas for features, and generally ensuring all areas of the official website are fully maintained.
As well as contributing to the website, the Digital Media Journalist will also play a role in the conception and production of engaging content for the club’s social media platforms.
The successful candidate will also be expected to regularly liaise with other departments across the club - including Marketing, Partnerships, Retail and Ticketing, among others - in order to ensure the digital objectives of all club departments are being met.
Capabilities and Experience:
- Writing daily news and creative features for the AS Roma English website
- Producing engaging content for the club’s many different social media accounts
- Collaborating with designers, video editors, photographers and producers on visual, audio and video content
- Covering the club’s core teams – Men, Women, Under-19s – to the highest standards, both on the pitch and beyond
- Contributing creative ideas for engaging multi-platform content that will inform and entertain fans
- Maintaining the RomaTV+ video-on-demand platform
- Editing and publishing content from fans and other website contributors
- Maintaining all sections of the website to ensure they are accurate and feel fresh
- Writing editorial and marketing newsletters
- Liaising with all departments at the club to help meet their various needs
The successful applicant will have demonstrable professional experience as a journalist or content creator, or some combination of both. Above all we are looking for a strong, reliable writer – with precise grammar and a keen attention to detail – who is self-motivated and can produce clean copy without supervision.
In a multi-platform world, however, a thorough knowledge of different social media platforms is equally important - and a keen understanding of how football clubs use them would also be helpful. Specific experience on one or more social platforms could be an advantage.
A journalism qualification or training at higher education level is highly desirable. You will be confident in your IT skills and have a basic understanding of content management systems and a variety of content creation tools. Past experience using photo, picture and video editing software would be helpful.
Alongside these core skills, demonstrable evidence of specific expertise in one or more relevant areas – from women’s football coverage, to SEO optimisation, to creative TikTok strategy – may help a candidate stand out.
Additional skills needed to make this role a success include:
- Fluent English (mother tongue) is a pre-requisite.
- Ability to speak or understand Italian is not essential but would be an advantage.
- Ability to speak or understand Mandarin is not essential but would be an advantage.
- Ability to speak or understand Portuguese is not essential but would be an advantage.
- A high level of integrity and trustworthiness.
- An ability to work within a team structure and a desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to operate against tight deadlines and under pressure, without compromising quality.
- A willingness to work flexible and at times unsociable hours.
- Weekend and evening work – in line with the customary football timetable - will be required.
This is a junior role, but with the potential for the right candidate to carve out their own niche within the department. While a strong grounding in journalistic fundamentals is vital, the club is keen to encourage anyone who feels they may be able to offer something unique or different to apply and make their case.
Are you interested? Send your resume!
If we do not contact you within 15 days, please consider the job search closed.